Wednesday, November 13, 2019

OT 533 SIM


Over all, I think the SIM encounter went well. I was very prepared and I feel like I communicated the information well to the client. I was very conscious of my body language and made sure that I thought through every word I said to ensure that my intentions were clear. If given the opportunity to do the SIM lab over, I think I would give the client more opportunities to speak. While I think my communication was effective, it was kind of like a one-sided conversation. I did stop a few times and ask if she had any questions, but I think I could have been more intentional with my pauses. I think a lot of it had to do with the amount of information I had to present in such a short period of time. I was very focused of hitting all the points mentioned in the rubric.

An OT student can communicate an attitude of caring by using active listening skills and proper body positioning. Positioning yourself beside your client, especially in an emotional situation like today, levels the playing field in a sense. It shows the client that we are in this together and that you are in their side. Active listening communicates to the client that their feelings are valid and important. It shows that you are hearing what they are saying and that what they are saying matters.

This encounter, for me, has just reiterated the fact that we are there to serve our clients. Our clients should be our center focus at all times. You have to be able to see things from their perspective. Another thing that I took away from this encounter is that we have to be able to accommodate all moods and situations. As OTs it is so important for us to be adaptable, to be able to roll with the punches. Situations may not always be ideal and there will be times that the unexpected happens, but even when the environment is less than ideal, we must maintain calm, cool, and client-centered.

No comments:

Post a Comment